some things should be kept to yourself
I have had so many people come up to me in the grocery store, sidewalk, hallway, wherever. First they will comment on how darling Graham is. (no aversion to that!) Then, they will proceed with the "but you just wait . . . " bit. Usually it's the teenager comment. But, sometimes it's as low as 6 or 7 or even 2 years old. I'm not sure why I need to be warned that my sweet baby will be able to mouth back someday. Yes! I know! He will someday be able to form sentences, he won't always share my opinions, he will test us, blah blah blah. In fact we've already gotten a taste of that. But are all teenagers monsters? I don't think so, in fact I know some downright great teenagers. So, I'll go on (blindly, as I'm told) believing that I will continue to be as in love with my 'babies' when they are 15 as I am at 2! Attitudes or not.
Another comment I got yesterday . . . this one is just stupid. I just left the doctor's office, relieved I had only gained 1 lb vs. the 5, I had accumulated the previous check-up. I'm not saying 5 lbs is that much, except that it was in the span of TWO WEEKS. There were 2 men in the elevator as I left, and one of them asks "Are you having twins?" Am I having twins?!!! No, I'm not having twins! Come on buddy. You don't ask a strange woman that. In fact, the comment was so utterly ridiculous, I didn't have the heart to be bugged. He may as well have said, "my you look huge." I just laughed to myself thinking of the fun I could have had, if I had answered "what do you mean? I'm not even pregnant!" and burst into fake tears.
Another comment I got yesterday . . . this one is just stupid. I just left the doctor's office, relieved I had only gained 1 lb vs. the 5, I had accumulated the previous check-up. I'm not saying 5 lbs is that much, except that it was in the span of TWO WEEKS. There were 2 men in the elevator as I left, and one of them asks "Are you having twins?" Am I having twins?!!! No, I'm not having twins! Come on buddy. You don't ask a strange woman that. In fact, the comment was so utterly ridiculous, I didn't have the heart to be bugged. He may as well have said, "my you look huge." I just laughed to myself thinking of the fun I could have had, if I had answered "what do you mean? I'm not even pregnant!" and burst into fake tears.


6 Comments:
you are one hot mama
I definitely would have fallen into tears with the twin comment. You are strong, and beautiful!!!
the teenager thing. I don't think i ever got that one. That is so demented for someone to talk that way to you!
Yes, you will continue to be as in love with them at 15. But, they may not adore you as much as they do at 2 or 3. Enjoy that now! Danny doesn't even want my kisses now. Once in awhile i can get him to take my hand to cross the street but only for a second until he has realized what he has done.
That is usually what I look for!
Look for! What the heck?!
My son, Mark is 11 and 1/2 and every once and a while he will still take my hand as we walk - of course he drops my hand as soon as someone comes our way. I love it!
The time goes so fast - enjoy the ups and downs of all ages and stages.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home