My favorite
The best thing about Dakota isn't the foliage, but perhaps it's the lack of. Maybe trees and hills are over-rated :-) because the unhindered view of the Big Sky is possibly the best gift this area gives. When I left some 10+ years ago for college, I didn't notice that I had missed the view until I came back to visit after my first long stay away. I remember pulling into our driveway, climbing out of the sky and noticing stars, almost like seeing them for the first time. I stood there for awhile in the cold, crisp air, my breath making frosty poofs in the air and noticed the deep-deep night sky. I had new appreciation for the sheer blackness of a sky not clouded by street lights, house lights, city lights. The brightness and depth that can be seen every night in Dakota took my breath away even as a self-centered adventure seeking 18 year old.
My Grandma Bev used to always call on certain occassions such as: A Figure Skating program or Billy Graham crusade was on television, a tornado was in our area (she and Grandpa Gordy even called and woke us up and warned Ry and I about the OKCity Tornado when we lived in Oklahoma) or when there was a breathtaking sunset. I find myself thinking of her on evenings with an amazing sky. She is someone I think I took for granted, maybe a little like the Dakota view I so easily left behind, wanted to leave behind, without realizing I would miss it, or that it was even anything particularly special. Every once in awhile I am keenly aware that she is missing, and that I was so blessed by her while she was just down the road. She passed away a year ago this week.
My 30th birthday was November 7, I didn't expect to have a great day, I didn't expect much at all. Ryan was elk hunting in Colorado, and although, I had finally gotten over feeling sorry for myself, I wasn't anticipating the love and attention in unexpected ways that I experienced that day. Judy, Ryan's mom, invited me for breakfast, she also invited quite a few girls to join us, I wasn't expecting that, and I also wouldn't have expected them all to come out of their way for me (perhaps it helped that Judy promised caramel rolls, but either way, it was actually quite touching) The weather was a balmy 70 degrees, which for this time of year is amazing, and immediately puts me in a good mood. So, the boys and I walked to the park and were joined by the Zander family, we took some fun pics of me with the boys, before we heading back home. That evening 2 new-ish friends found babysitters for their children and came over to celebrate with me. Mom took Graham to a movie so that I could have the night off, and all we did was have pizza, cake, and talk, but honestly, it was exactly what I needed. I don't know the last time I was able to visit with girls without interruptions of some kind, I have missed that.
But perhaps the best part of the day, the part that stopped me in my tracks for a deep breath was the photos below, taken right outside my house. I noticed the golden glow, but the sky kept getting more and more incredible as the moments passed. It's times like this that I am so gratefully aware of the kindness and goodness and artistry of God. I felt all-around special that day, on my birthday. A day that I had anticipated feeling alone and disappointed because of the elk trip. And it was the simplest things and the thoughtful gestures that made it so pleasant and in some ways extraordinary.


My Grandma Bev used to always call on certain occassions such as: A Figure Skating program or Billy Graham crusade was on television, a tornado was in our area (she and Grandpa Gordy even called and woke us up and warned Ry and I about the OKCity Tornado when we lived in Oklahoma) or when there was a breathtaking sunset. I find myself thinking of her on evenings with an amazing sky. She is someone I think I took for granted, maybe a little like the Dakota view I so easily left behind, wanted to leave behind, without realizing I would miss it, or that it was even anything particularly special. Every once in awhile I am keenly aware that she is missing, and that I was so blessed by her while she was just down the road. She passed away a year ago this week.
My 30th birthday was November 7, I didn't expect to have a great day, I didn't expect much at all. Ryan was elk hunting in Colorado, and although, I had finally gotten over feeling sorry for myself, I wasn't anticipating the love and attention in unexpected ways that I experienced that day. Judy, Ryan's mom, invited me for breakfast, she also invited quite a few girls to join us, I wasn't expecting that, and I also wouldn't have expected them all to come out of their way for me (perhaps it helped that Judy promised caramel rolls, but either way, it was actually quite touching) The weather was a balmy 70 degrees, which for this time of year is amazing, and immediately puts me in a good mood. So, the boys and I walked to the park and were joined by the Zander family, we took some fun pics of me with the boys, before we heading back home. That evening 2 new-ish friends found babysitters for their children and came over to celebrate with me. Mom took Graham to a movie so that I could have the night off, and all we did was have pizza, cake, and talk, but honestly, it was exactly what I needed. I don't know the last time I was able to visit with girls without interruptions of some kind, I have missed that.
But perhaps the best part of the day, the part that stopped me in my tracks for a deep breath was the photos below, taken right outside my house. I noticed the golden glow, but the sky kept getting more and more incredible as the moments passed. It's times like this that I am so gratefully aware of the kindness and goodness and artistry of God. I felt all-around special that day, on my birthday. A day that I had anticipated feeling alone and disappointed because of the elk trip. And it was the simplest things and the thoughtful gestures that made it so pleasant and in some ways extraordinary.




5 Comments:
What a beautiful post! The pictures are breathtaking! It is true that the view from the middle of no where is quite astounding. I am so thankful that I can stand outside at night and enjoy the stars and hear NOTHING, it's great!
I am so glad that you have re-discovered your love for SD. It is really a beautiful place just not how you would expect. I am also glad your birthday turned out ok. Beautiful pics by the way.
You have no idea who I am but I am a long time friend of Teresa's and I knew Ryan as a kid from church. Anyway, I have visited your site a few times and I love your pictures! I can so relate to the idea of feeling "down" about a birthday that isn't going to be celebrated or recognized like we'd like to think it should be. What a blessing to be surrounded by people that love you so much and were so attentive to your needs!
Did Ryan compensate with a nice gift? I'm hoping for a girls only trip for my Dirty 30!
so eloquent and beautiful! isn't it funny how in the quiet moments and in the beauty God created that we find the "deeper" meaning?
if you feel blessed, we are even more so...we're so glad to have you just down the road here in balmy Dakota.
Nice post...I was thinking about Grandpa Gordy this weekend while deer hunting with Ryan and Bob. We didn't see much deer from the stand...on the drive home I was bummed about not shooting a big buck or not seeing many deer but thought of Grandpa and how he would have considered that a successful outing! I was tired out from hunting the whole day and bummed about not getting a shot but what a blessing it was...saw lots of wildlife (pheasants/geese), sunrise, sunset and good conversation.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home