Arnold Inn

One of the 5 things you don't know about me, would be that I work part time. I am able to work from home as a graphic designer and photographer, and I just made the decision to take on a few more hours per week. Although, with graphic design, it doesn't really amount to a per week situation. Most often, once I receive a job assignment, it's due sometime like -yesterday. It gets a little hairy sometimes to push out the hours when they generally come all at once with a vengeance, but with naptimes and a few volunteer babysitters here and there, (thanks Judy and Janelle) it's been working. I enjoy having a deadline now and then, and the rush of getting a job to someone in the knick of time, is actually great in a strange sort of way, maybe it makes my downtime even more enjoyable.
But, that's not the part-time work I was talking about. I was referring to my night job, where I serve as the overseer of the Arnold Inn. We have three suites and my job is to take care of the guests in each suite.
Our first room, R-1 provides nighttime reprieve for a hardworking, handsome gentleman. He also happens to be co-owner of the Arnold Inn, he keeps the inn in tip-top shape and helps with most issues. That is, DAYtime issues. He has yet to take on any of the night shift, even though I keep putting it on his schedule. He is pretty low-maintenance as long as he's had his night time snacks, favorite "activities", etc. And basically after 11 PM, he hangs a do-not-disturb sign over the door and does not rouse til the morn.
The guest inhabiting Suite O-1 is not quite so low-maintenance. He is a loveable young man, and generally affable during the day. You'd recognize him because he's bit short and pudgey, has a great laugh and wears his hair in a faux hawk, I think he puts on the pounds because of all of the late-night snacking. He constantly rings for room-service and always orders the same snack, night after night. Sometimes up to 3 or more times each night. He keeps my bell ringing, and I put in alot of night time hours servicing Suite O.
In Suite G-1 is a lively guy, with a great imagination and amazing vocabulary. He makes the Arnold Inn a happy place, he has good manners and is usually very appreciative of the amenities I provide. However during my nighttime rounds, he constantly is asking to switch rooms. Apparently, we have a security and rodent problem.. A few nights ago, his bed was filled with frogs nibbling at his toes. He hollared for security, and understandably demanded to switch rooms. But even worse, . . . the latest trespasser was a dinosaur who tried to climb in to his top bunk then reach below and grab him. This was absolutely unacceptable, and his patience was put to the test, it took me most of the night to appease the Guest in G-1, but I think I have him convinced that it won't happen again.
We are taking applications at the Arnold Inn, applicants must be able to work late hours. Must be willing to clean up vomit, poo, and random toys. Cooking and cleaning skills are a bonus, but not necessary.


12 Comments:
you have such a wonderful outlook on life. i love to read your postings - they always put a smile on my face.
I get the feeling that the resident in R-1 should have to pay extra if he requires extra "activities". Oh wait, that might be illegal. Sorry, I couldn't help it.
I think that the place where you went drastically wrong was when you said, "the part-time work". There is NOTHING part-time about working at that Inn.
I have a feeling that the gentlemen staying at your Inn get better servie than the ones at mine:-)
Sounds a lot like my Inn with two more occupants. : )
What a great posting! We are accepting applicants at the Pendley Inn too if anyone is interested! Aren't the inn keepers allowed to strike one in a while and go have coffee or something? I know a great coffee shop (and its not Starbucks!!! ;)
Let me know if your inn keeper is interested!
very insightful and clever too. Mom
Thanks for sharing a little bit of your life at Arnold Inn. Sounds as busy as my life, except I think I don't take on nearly the amount of outside work as you do. I'm enjoying my semi-retirement from reporting and now only write when I feel like it :-)
Thanks, by the way, for posting a comment on my blog. I like to know who has the patience to read my ramblings. Please drop a comment as often as you like.
Aisha
It must be an Arnold thing because this story sounds way too familiar. Fortunately, it is but a distant memory now and before long it will be to you too. Hang in there and don't expect too much out of yourself during these years.
I bet your innkeeper job pays as mine does, lots of hugs, kisses, and 'I love you's"
Such a great way to put it! Soon the cute little guy in O-1 will need less and less room service and you will get more and more sleep. :)
At the Behrens Inn we had residents leave and then return after years of being gone. Hmmm, do you think they ever really leave? I no longer have to get up in the night to settle down the creepies in the night, but I don't get paid more for having an extra boarder either. I do get extra hugs and tons of love....it's all worth it!
One, make it two ?'s. #1. How are you related to all the A's. #2 Why does your profile say you are from Tennessee?
Shannon, very, very funny post. I love the way you described everything.
Also, those "activities" should be halted unless the R-1 occupant takes a night shift every once in a while. After all he is part owner :-)
Thanks for the answers. You are blessed. I adore Michelle and Kim. I'm finding more and more of you "A's" everywhere I turn around.
You blog is great and I really enjoy the read. Hope you come visit me now and then:)
I mentioned to my daughter about your photos. She loved looking at your work. She's familiar with David Molnar as my other daughter knew him from TM. She's just starting with some photography and loves his work. He photographed a wedding my daughter that was at TM was in.
Ah we have that same dinosaur problem ourselves! Isn't it so funny when they get into that imaginative play phase that they are so convinced many things are gonig on at night! My Owen doesn't know about changing rooms idea though ;) So we'll keep that one a little secret :) And girl, my heart goes out to you!!! 3 times a night!!!! ouch. we have about one scream a night from lukie! but then he goes straight to sleep. it's weird.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home